My Mom’s ultimate favorite dessert is Coconut Cream Pie. So since today is Mother’s Day, I decided to make her favorite dessert. The recipe I used is from Allrecipes.com, and is called “Old Fashioned Coconut Cream Pie”. Here is the Recipe:
Old Fashioned Coconut Cream Pie
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (9 inch) pie shell, baked
- 1 cup frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Spread the coconut on a baking sheet and bake it, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the half-and-half, eggs, sugar, flour and salt and mix well. Bring to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes more. Remove the pan from the heat, and stir in 3/4 cup of the toasted coconut and the vanilla extract. Reserve the remaining coconut to top the pie.
- Pour the filling into the pie shell and chill until firm, about 4 hours.
- Top with whipped topping and with the reserved coconut.
This recipe was really easy to make and didn’t take long to prepare. I used Gold Medal Unbleached All Purpose flour, Land o’ Lakes half and half, Kirkland pure Vanilla extract, Great Value Sweetened Coconut Flakes, Organic granulated sugar, Farm fresh eggs, Sea Salt, and Great Value traditional Pie crust.
Note: I found the Pie crust at Walmart in the frozen foods department-not the baking aisle!
So basically this pie is made in three steps: 1. Toast the Coconut. 2. Mix all other ingredients in a saucepan until thick. 3. Place filling in pie crust and put in fridge for 4 hours. Here is how my pie looks:
To Garnish I just bought some whipping cream and sprinkled toasted Coconut on top.So there you have it – an easy Mother’s Day Coconut Cream Pie! Please let me know in the comments what you think and if you try the recipe. Enjoy and thanks for reading! 🙂